The skin of the lips also regenerates and requires special care. One of them is to exfoliate them, so that they are soft, hydrated and with a better appearance. To achieve this, it is not essential to spend a lot of money, you can prepare a homemade lip scrub with ingredients that are very easy to find in the kitchen.
Surely it has happened to you that when applying the lipstick you cannot make it uniform. It agglomerates in certain areas or with the passing of hours it begins to detach. This is nothing more than the result of applying cosmetic products on lips that have not been previously treated. They may be dry, dirty, or even cracked. Therefore, it is a priority to attend to their condition before giving them color.
The good news is that these inconveniences have a solution and it all starts with using an effective and simple lip scrub in your beauty routine.
3 easy recipes to prepare at home
The basis of homemade scrubs is to mix an ingredient, usually greasy, with another that is slightly abrasive . Unlike body scrubs that can use salt, it is better to use a softer abrasive, since the skin of the lips is thinner and must be treated gently. To do this, brown sugar and bicarbonate are ingredients that can be adapted to the needs.
Here are 3 recipe alternatives that are very easy to prepare at home and that are very effective for exfoliating lips. With them, you will solve your doubts about how to make a homemade scrub that leaves your lips smooth and renewed.
This recipe is ideal for when you have lip cracks, since this natural ingredient has antiseptic and healing properties. It will suffice to mix a tablespoon of 100% pure honey, two tablespoons of brown sugar and, finally, a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. On the other hand, if you let the mixture sit and don’t rub the area, it works as a lip mask. You just have to rinse it off after a few minutes.
with almond oil
A widely used moisturizer in cosmetics is sweet almond oil, so it is not surprising that it is also used for the lips. Mix two tablespoons of coconut oil, two of almond oil and two of baking soda. With this recipe it is easy to make a soft lip peeling with a delicious aroma.
Beeswax is another very useful natural product for the skin, since it contains vitamin A, which is also involved in healing processes. It may be a little more complex to acquire, but it is worth it. With it, you can prepare a lip scrub with a regenerating effect.
Put 20 grams of beeswax, 40 ml of coconut oil in a bain-marie and mix everything very well. Now, let it sit until it solidifies a bit. At this point, what you get is a great homemade lip balm. Just add two tablespoons of brown sugar to turn it into a lip scrub.
Now you know how to prepare a homemade lip scrub. However, it is worth emphasizing its correct application, since, no matter how good the ingredients that you have mixed are, if the product is not used properly, it will not fulfill its function .
How to exfoliate lips?
The homemade lip scrub is generally applied in the same way as any other that you buy in the market. Let’s see, one by one, the steps to follow.
- Clean: Use a disc with micellar water and clean your lips well, to remove any remaining dirt.
- Apply and leave: Take a small amount of your lip scrub with the pad of your ring finger and place it on the lips. In the three cases of homemade exfoliating mask that we have suggested, moisturizing elements are included. Let them act on your lips to soften them, so the abrasive action will be less aggressive.
- Massage the area: Make gentle circular movements with your ring finger, going from the top of the lips to the corners. Pressure is a point you should pay attention to. If you used the baking soda scrub, it may not irritate your lips too much, but if the brown sugar granules in your homemade scrub are too large, you could damage the top layer of your skin.
- Clarifies: Gently remove excess exfoliant. You can use a cotton pad or a soft cloth. If you don’t like the sensation, you can wash the area with your favorite facial soap.
- Repeat with the correct frequency: Do not make homemade lip peeling a daily practice. Although exfoliating lips is convenient, you should wait several days between sessions. It is recommended to use this technique once or twice a week.
What is the lip scrub for?
As happens with the skin of the cheeks, chin, forehead, etc., where dust and dead cells accumulate throughout the day, the lips also suffer from this same problem. So, lip exfoliation is responsible for removing all these particles, to promote cell regeneration and, thereby, give the lips a renewed appearance. In addition, this process stimulates blood supply to the area, which not only means that the lips receive the nutrients they need to be healthy, but also increases their volume.
All of this also helps lipstick and cosmetics adhere better, giving them a smoother appearance, with a more even finish. Therefore, it is understandable that there are so many people asking how to make a homemade lip balm.