Know the 5 types of air conditioning
When summer approaches and temperatures begin to rise, we realize that the fan is not enough to calm the heat. Therefore, we consider the possibility of buying an air conditioner, but we have no idea which one to choose. Here we will know a little about the different types that exist and their operation.
Choosing the right air conditioning system for your home will depend on several factors, such as the size of the room or room you want to air-condition, whether there is a duct system in your home and, of course, the price you are willing to pay.
Now, before talking about the types of air conditioning, we should understand a little about the operation of these appliances and the parts that make them up.
Parts of an air conditioner
In modern air conditioning equipment we see a combination of mechanical engineering, thermodynamics and fluid transfer in a compression refrigeration system, with refrigerant circuits through which the refrigerant gas circulates. This runs through a copper pipe, changing from gas to liquid and from liquid to gas, as it passes through the different components.
In this stage, the thermal exchange occurs that lowers the temperature of the room by extracting the excess heat. Consequently, a feeling of cold is preserved in the room.
For this to be possible, there are some well-differentiated parts in the air conditioner, regardless of the type of design, which we explain in the next section.
Compressor: It is in charge of pressurizing the refrigerant gas to return it to its liquid state.
Condenser: Its function is to remove most of the heat in the refrigerant on its return from inside the heated room. To do this, there is a fan in the condenser coil that accelerates the cooling of the gas to turn it into a liquid again.
Evaporator: Its purpose is to convert the compressed high pressure liquid into gas with the decrease in pressure. It is at this stage that the refrigerant removes ambient heat from the room and keeps it feeling cool.
Fan: In the evaporator there is a fan that brings fresh air into the environment, moving the air for treatment. The fan is usually responsible for the humming noise that is heard when the air conditioner is on.
Thermostat: It is the element in charge of controlling the functions of the compressor unit, turning it on and off, as well as maintaining the temperature and setting adjustments.
Find the air conditioner for your home
The different air conditioners available for domestic use are adapted to the user’s space, needs and budget. Below we list the best known.
Window air: This model has been popular for decades and is commonly seen in residential buildings installed in windows. It has an extraction system to release the hot air from the sides and the back, directing the cooling towards the interior. Due to their capacity, these air conditioners can only cool one room at a time, so if your house is large, it will be necessary to mount several.
– It is a low-cost system, so it is widely used in small houses and flats.
– This unit can be easily moved from one location to another or completely disassembled during the fall and winter.
– The window in which the appliance is mounted loses its usefulness in terms of light and fresh air.
– Its design compromises the security of homes, since it is easy for thieves to access through the air conditioning area.
Split: Also known as wall air conditioning, it is a basic unit with attractive designs to accompany the decoration. Your system has an external unit in which the compressor goes and in the internal unit there is the evaporator, the latter is the one that is mounted in the room. This model stands out for its silent operation, an aspect that users especially value at bedtime.
– Its cost is affordable and its assembly is easy to carry out, since you only have to make a small hole in the wall.
– The aesthetic design complements the decoration of the room and does not take up much space.
– An external unit is needed for each internal unit, thus increasing the investment if you want to air-condition all the rooms in the house.
– Its installation is fixed, so once it is mounted in one place, it is not possible to change rooms so easily.
Multisplit: It is one of the most commercialized systems for houses with 3 rooms or more, in which you want to air-condition each space, since it allows you to connect up to 8 internal units, depending on the model, with an external unit. The capacity and power of the units can vary among themselves to adapt to the dimensions of the room, allowing an individual configuration of each air conditioner. However, the outlay is much higher than with a split, since we are talking about a large-capacity external drive.
– Space is saved by connecting all internal units with a single external module.
– The assembly is simple and does not require excessive skilled labor, since it is very similar to that of the split.
– If the external unit breaks down, the whole house will be left without air conditioning.
– Its appearance is remarkable, especially if you have a unit in each room.
Central Air Conditioning: Among the most effective types of HVAC systems for cooling many rooms and large homes is central air conditioning. Its design includes the cooling compressor that is placed outside the house. Next, a coil with refrigerant is used to cool the air, which, by the action of a fan, is distributed in all rooms through a system of ducts. In each room there will be a grid through which the air will come out for its air conditioning.
This system is complex and is preferably mounted in houses under construction and with high ceilings, since its installation involves planning, works and the placement of a false ceiling. For all this, skilled labor is needed to assemble the ducts and connections.
– The decorative value of the house increases because there will be no bulky equipment on the walls or windows, just discreet grids on the ceiling.
– It is suitable for maintaining a regular climate throughout the house, or if you prefer, you can close the grids of the less frequented rooms.
– It is an expensive system both in assembly and maintenance.
– In old houses it is necessary to make modifications to install the central air conditioning and it can affect the aesthetics of the place.
Portable air conditioner: Also known as autonomous, this air conditioning system is unitary, like window air conditioners, since all its components are within the same equipment. Therefore, only access to a window is needed to place the exhaust hose, similar to those of vacuum cleaners. Its lightweight design with wheels allows it to be easily moved from one room to another, being suitable for couples or people who live alone.
– It is suitable for floors where drilling or modifications to windows are prohibited.
– They can be easily moved from one place to another.
– The noise of this equipment can be annoying, because the fan and the condenser are inside the same module.
– Its design is effective only in small rooms.
These models are the most used air conditioning systems. However, there are new designs, technological innovations that use solar energy or resources such as water to cool the environment.
So, to be successful in your search, define your needs and your budget to find the best air conditioner that meets your demands efficiently.