The mileage and the passage of time are determining elements in the appearance of certain noises in the car, to which we must pay attention because they could become annoying. But, if the hearing is sharpened, it is possible to detect any failure prematurely and solve it in time, avoiding major problems and risks on the journey.
In principle, it is important to remember that you do not need to be a mechanical specialist, but it is convenient that you know your car well and have some time with it, so that you can specify certain details while driving that would be an alert that something is wrong. well.
As time goes by with our car we get to know every creak and all its tricks, so it is convenient to read this post so that we are aware of every whistle or cricket sound that it may present. Well, this could be the notice of any change in the proper functioning of the vehicle, which in any case will allow us to save money and avoid higher expenses.
Most common noises that usually appear in the car
It turns out that depending on the specific piece where the sound comes from, you can find different types of noises, the most common being the following:
- mechanical noises
- impact noises
- slack noises
- friction noises
- engine noise
In such a way that, if you know what the noise of the car is like, it is possible to get an idea of what the problem is. So, now we will talk about the possible symptoms of breakdowns and their solutions.
noise when braking
If you feel a sharp sound when braking the tires, it is likely that there is wear on the car’s brake pads. This happens because when the lining of the pad wears out, friction begins between the iron and the brake disc. In some cases, the manufacturer incorporates a sensor in the car’s panel that alerts you when the pills run out, but not all vehicles have this system.
Another squeak that is often heard in the case of the brake pads is when there is dirt between them and the disc, or in the case of the crystallization of the pads . For the first case, the sound can be removed with a good wash in the area. While in the second case, it is necessary to change the pads because the brakes will not work 100% and could cause marks on the discs, which would also mean that they would have to be changed before the end of their useful life.
In the case of vibrations when braking, it is very important to be alert, because under normal operating conditions we should not feel vibrations when we brake, so if this is your problem, keep in mind that this may be because the pads are already bad. condition or due to a disc that has been deformed, requiring immediate change.
Sounds coming from the engine
The engine is one of the most complex and extremely important components for your vehicle, because it is made up of many elements that work together. So, if you notice any failure or breakdown, it is advisable to detect if it is only one part or if, on the contrary, it is a major failure that affects several sections of the system, so if you find the problem in time, you will be able to save you a lot of money on repair.
In some cases it seems that the sound occurs in the engine, but it could be that it is something that performs a parallel function. Let’s look at some examples:
- Battery issues: It is possible that when starting the car it sounds like it is in slow motion, which could be an indicator that the battery is running low . This happens when the useful life of the battery reaches its end, if you spend a long time without using the car or in cold seasons. A solution would be to take the battery to charge, and if it does not work, then it will be necessary to buy a new one.
- Idle failures : The effect of the engine running idle, that is, when the car is on, but is stopped and not accelerating, is known as idling. In this case, the running car engine has to be smooth, totally stable. So, if we notice a metallic noise from the engine at idle, or that it is not regular but goes up and down, the solution could be to change the air and diesel filter, because that way the engine breathes well. Also, we must check if there are no obstructions.
- Whistling when accelerating: In the case of turbo-type engines, it is normal to hear a kind of vacuum cleaner sound during acceleration, which happens because the compressor is gaining pressure to start working. If that sound is very loud, it may mean there is a pressure leak in a hose, which is cheap and easy to fix. Now, if the noise when accelerating the car in gear comes from the turbocharger, here the thing changes because the repair is quite expensive. Another metallic noise when accelerating the car, which is quite typical, is usually a type of backfiring that is caused by defects in the joints that the exhaust has, so you must be on the lookout for its repair.
- Scratchy sound when the engine is running: This would be one of the easiest sounds to identify, because it is very irritating and it is usually a belt that is already worn and is slipping on the pulleys that are in the engine.. In principle, if the recommended maintenance periods are followed, the belts should not sound, but it is likely that, due to changes in humidity or temperature, the belts could break down, and replacement is the solution. For example, if a noise is detected in the alternator belt or also a service call, it is necessary to change it immediately, because it is related to the water pump, the air conditioning system compressor, with the turning movement produced by the engine in conjunction with the alternator or with the power steering pump, among others.
- Cold engine noise: You will likely feel some noise when starting the car from cold and this is usually due to the lack of oil lubrication in the parts. This is a sound that disappears shortly after it is turned on. Now, if when you open the engine cover the sound you hear comes from the top of the engine, the problem could be caused by the valves, making it necessary to take the car to a mechanic to adjust their clearance.
- After turning off the engine: On the other hand, if you hear a noise after turning off your car’s engine, it is likely that the sound is coming from the pressure cap located on the radiator. It is a cover designed so that there is a release in the excess heat produced by the overheated coolant, but sometimes the seal that comes in the rubber gasket of this part breaks and for that reason the air escapes.
Noises in the suspension
The steering and suspension are very important elements in our car, because they are directly related to safety and, in the event of any failure, we could have serious accidents on the roads. Now, if there is any noise in this area, it could be the failure of a component that makes up the suspension, be it the springs, the shock absorbers or the stabilizer bars. So, the first thing to determine is if the noise is produced in the front of the car, or if on the contrary, it is a noise in the rear suspension.
However, in both cases, when detecting where the sound is coming from, it is necessary to adjust the mechanisms involved or change them.
Keep in mind that your safety, as well as that of your family or friends when you use a car, depends on the care and maintenance you do to it. Therefore, it is vitally important to be alert to any anomalous situation that may arise while driving, in order to restore its correct operation as soon as possible.