There are several ways to find out if your computer is 32 or 64 bits, but one of the most common is through an application. For example, CPU-Z is a free program that will help you to see the architecture of the processor that your PC has and gives you information about other characteristics of the CPU.
You may have heard someone talk about this topic and you have not understood anything, so in this article we will explain what 32 and 64 bits mean on PC. In short, it is a way to classify the type of operating system and its versatility. Based on this, Windows may work better if it is 64-bit as it can use more RAM . On the other hand, when you have 32 bits, you are limited to using up to 4 GB of RAM at most.
Also, if the operating system is 64-bit, you can install 64-bit programs and games, which normally use a lot of RAM. In this sense, the applications work more smoothly. Therefore, it is best to check if your computer supports 64-bit Windows. If so, upgrade your operating system to 64-bit.
Why is it important to know if the system is 32 or 64 bits?
It is very important to know if your computer has Windows 32 or 64 bits, as there are applications that offer both options, so before installing them they ask you which version you want.
Generally, it is possible to choose the 32-bit option, even if you have 64-bit Windows. The bad thing is that the installed application will not make full use of RAM. This can become a headache for you, because the application will lag or simply crash often.
In other words, the difference between 32 and 64 bits is that the second version of Windows offers greater versatility , providing more fluidity in both the system and the installed programs.
How to know if it is Windows 32 or 64 bits?
If you wonder how to know if it is 32 or 64 bits, here we will give you the answer. However, before explaining, you should know that the process is different for each version of Windows . For example, for Windows XP you must follow these steps:
- Click on “Start”.
- When you enter there press the right mouse click on “My team”.
- Then click properties, which should be the last option.
- Then, in the “General” section, check the version of Windows. If it says “x64 Edition,” it means your computer is running Windows XP 64-bit.
However, if you are wondering how to know the bits of my computer in Windows 8 and 10, we will also explain it to you in this article. These are the steps, follow them carefully and you will know the answer.
- Right-click on “Start” (bottom left, on the Windows logo).
- Then, go to the “System” option.
- In “Device specifications” check where it says “System type”. There you will see if you have Windows 32 or 64 bits.
On the other hand, if you wonder how to know the bits of my Windows Vista or Windows 7, here we will explain it to you. Pay attention to each step so you don’t get confused.
- Go to “Start” and go to “Control Panel”.
- Then go to “System Security”.
- Click “System.” When you are there you will see the type of operating system that your computer has, 32 or 64 bits. If nothing appears, it means you have a 32-bit system.
How to see the properties of your PC with an application?
Sometimes you not only need to know the architecture type of the processor, but also other technical details. To do this, we recommend using the CPU-Z application . Simply go to its official website (cpuid.com) and download the latest version for free. To know the type of architecture of the processor you must follow the following steps:
- Open the CPU-Z app and select the tab labeled “CPU.”
- Read the data from “Instructions”.
- If you have an AMD processor, the information “x86-64” should appear. In case you have an Intel CPU you will see the data “EM64T”. In both cases it means that you have a 64-bit processor.
- When this information does not appear, it is because your processor works with 32 bits.
Also, with CPU-Z you can see other properties of your computer, for example, the amount of RAM, processor temperature, GPU model, number of CPU cores, etc.
How to know if your processor is 32 or 64 bits in Linux?
In the Linux operating system you can also see the architecture of your CPU. For example, you can enter the system details panel. To do this, follow the steps below.
- Go to the taskbar and click on the arrow on the far right.
- Later, enter the configuration panel.
- Go to the last option, Details. There you will see information about the operating system and the CPU.
- In “Type of OS” it will appear if the CPU is 32 or 64 bits.
Know the type of CPU architecture according to the manufacturer
Another way to know the architecture of your processor is through the official CPU page. With the previous explanations you should already know what processor model your computer has. Therefore, perform the following steps to obtain the manufacturer’s data sheet.
- Go to the official page of your CPU, for example, Intel or AMD.
- Copy and paste the model of your CPU in the search engine of its official page.
- If you are on the Intel page, go to the “Instruction set” option. If it is AMD, check the information where it says “Compatible with OS”. In this way, you will see the architecture of your processor.
Finally, we inform you that currently it is not worth installing a 32-bit operating system. It is also not much use installing 32-bit applications, because that way we would not be taking advantage of the new processors, since they have supported 64 bits for approximately 10 years.